How to reduce attack surface
In cybersecurity, the attack surface is the sum of attack vectors, the different entry points where a cyberattacker can try to enter data to or extract data from an environment. A high number of attack vectors means that an unauthorized user has more opportunities to breach a network.
In order to increase their cyber resilience, organizations should take steps to reduce their attack surface.
Ways to minimize attack surfaces
Use these tips to reduce the number of attack vectors available:
- Enable a zero trust policy — With zero trust, users are continuously authenticated and authorized before granted permissions to applications and data. Zero trust eliminates implicit trust and requires constant verification at every digital interaction.
- Managing users’ access and permissions — Enable the principle of least privilege (PoLP) in the workplace and restrict employees’ access to the bare minimum needed for them to complete a task. Use role-based access controls to ensure that information is only accessible to the necessary users.
- Isolate your network — Network segmentation is a security technique that divides a network into subnetworks. Compartmentalizing can prevent lateral movement and mitigate the effects of a data breach.
- Review and monitor traffic patterns — Continuously monitor your organization’s attack surface. Surveilling for vulnerabilities can help organizations spot suspicious activity sooner.
- Regularly cleaning and updating outdated code and software — Outdated software is more vulnerable to attacks. Teams must have a patch management strategy to correct any vulnerabilities in software. This practice ensures that devices in your environment are not susceptible to exploitation.
- Train your team — Knowledgeable employees are the first defense line in cybersecurity. Implement good cyber hygiene practices to help them stay diligent and recognize signs of an attack through phishing emails and social engineering.
How Armis can reduce your attack surface in cybersecurity
The Armis platform offers you complete visibility to ensure you have control in securing your digital assets. Armis allows you to identify the type of risk that each device poses, giving you the chance to increase security towards vulnerable assets.
Scale your cybersecurity posture with Armis Asset Vulnerability Management (AVM), the solution that helps organizations to mitigate damages across their full attack surface.